Thursday, January 15, 2009

There's something about Morrie...

"The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." -Morrie Schwartz


Last night, I had the chance to see the made for TV movie, "Tuesdays with Morrie". I will admit, I have not read the book. (It's now on my reading list.) I saw the title on my Netflix and thought it would be a good movie to see. Little did I know what it would have in store.

Maybe it was the fact that it was the first day of my last semester at BC, maybe it was because I had just finished a philosophy course where my professor went on and on about the future we can't see as we graduate, or maybe it was just because I had just gotten home after my first Capstone seminar where we were discussing the very merits addressed in the movie.

In any case, what I'm trying to say is that for only the second time in my movie watching history, I cried. I thought back to the experiences of seeing some of my own family members age, the people I've lost touch with since moving on to BC, or leaving several of my old hometowns. Morrie's understanding of life and living life was something straight from the lessons the Jesuits have taught me for nearly the last eight years. The idea that we need to be open to love, to share it, and more importantly to know how to receive it ourselves.

Of course, it wasn't the first time hearing any of these sentiments, but Morrie's life story and his death story struck a chord. At only 22, I know that I have so much to learn, but learning about Morrie's story made the lessons my educators and family have been trying to impress upon me more palpable. If you haven't read this book, you should. Morrie's poignant wisdom illustrates the importance of recognizing the loving connections we have in life.

It's amazing how sometimes something totally unexpected can happen, and the changes those experiences can bring. And last night, I experienced an emotional release for things I hadn't had a chance to fully feel before. Sometimes wisdom comes in great and profound packages and sometimes it comes in a little red envelope.

No comments: