Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009 has never looked better

2009: A year I first considered seven years ago at Boston College High School when I realized it would be the year I would finish college. Of course, at that time, I was naive enough to think that 2009 would be the end of my academic career, now I am much wiser to know that my academic pursuits won't be over until I'm six feet underground.

Since then, 2009 has continued to be a marker for me. 2009, the year I would finish my undergraduate degrees. The year I would have to make some choices on where to find my first job. The year I may or may not have to leave home. Personally, 2009 represents dozens of choices I'm going to make in the next year. As the year drew closer, I had feelings ranging from nervousness to excitement. At this point, after wishing my family and friends another happy new year, I finally feel ready to move into this uncertain territory.

Meanwhile, our country and the world stands on the verge of a great change. Optimists are hopeful and pessimists are concerned, but still, none will deny the importance of the decisions to be made by world leaders and the people they serve. On the cusp of the first day of the New Year, I'm more inclined to be optimistic. I think that when the time comes for serious change, people will rise up to the challenge.

But don't take my word for it, below are two quotes from an optimist and a cynic. The optimist is William Arthur Ward, an American author known for his inspirational quotes and our playing the pessimist is American satirist Mark Twain. A note, I do agree Twain had a lot of optimistic thoughts about the American dream, but he also addressed them with biting commentary.

“Another fresh new year is here...
Another year to live!
To banish worry, doubt, and fear,
To love and laugh and give!

This bright new year is given me
To live each day with zest...
To daily grow and try to be
My highest and my best!

I have the opportunity
Once more to right some wrongs,
To pray for peace, to plant a tree,
And sing more joyful songs!”

-William Arthur Ward

“New Year's Day - Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual.”

-Mark Twain

No comments: