Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Home for the holidays

It's been a wild few weeks since I last posted here. From Boston's first blizzard of the season to celebrating Christmas at three different homes in two days, time has been short. With that said, I wanted to provide a little update on how everything is going on several projects:

1) In Good Faith

The original score is completed and I'm currently in the process of submitting it to the College Emmy Awards. I don't expect anything out of it, but the process of applying alone has been a great learning experience. The documentary was turned down by the Big Sky Documentary Film Fest in Colorado recently, but it would have been a great surprise for the film to get such an honor. The film is being submitted to several other festivals including a local Boston festival where it may have more of an opportunity to be seen.

We are also working on scheduling a new premiere screening at the Roxbury Mosque. However, the high holy days and now the recent conflicts in Israel-Gaza are delaying those efforts. Hopefully, things will settle down and I will have more information on the event. Until then, my thoughts are with both the innocent Israelis and Palestinians caught up in this nearly century's old conflict.

2) For Others

Also currently being submitted to the College Emmys by Naz Keskin, the producer of the film.

3) Fulbright ETA to Turkey

I haven't heard anything back from the IIE yet, but many have said that my application seems very strong. Over this break, I said good bye to my Turkish tutor, Mehmet, who is returning with his family to Istanbul. I will miss him and his help, but I look forward to possibly visiting him next year. Mehmet also introduced me to Soner, another Turk studying at BU looking for help with his English. Hopefully, Soner and I can find time this semester to meet for tea and help each other out.

I've also been following my friend Emily and her blog from Turkey. She has been telling me a lot about her friends who are ETAs and how their experience has been going. I emailed one of her friends and hope to get to know him, and how he has organized himself as a teaching assistant in Turkey.

4) Graduate School

I thought I would add that I am beginning the Graduate school search for the 2010-2011 academic year. I'm hopeful to find a solid broadcast journalism or journalism program in New York, Chicago, or Washington D.C. So far, schools that have popped up on my radar are Columbia U., NYU, Northwestern, BU, Emerson, American University, University of Maryland, and Syracuse. If anyone has any thoughts on these schools, I'd be happy to hear from you.

No comments: