Saturday, August 7, 2010

Cue the SOTs

In an attempt to make this blog more than just a repository for my work, today I'm going to begin "cuing the SOTs." What does this mean?

First, let me explain what is a SOT (pronounced like "sought"). A SOT, an abbreviation for "Sound on Tape," is used widely in the broadcast world to describe sound bites. The original idea for this blog, beyond being a repository for my work, was to post SOTs of the Day and write a little something about it.

So, today I'll post the first of what will hopefully be a new segment on the blog, "The Daily SOT" I won't necessarily post daily, but that's the aim. I'm usually busy on newscast days, so posting an extra SOT is sometimes difficult.

Initially, I'd always think the SOT would come from a news story or a headline, but after some thought, I realize it can come from anywhere, as long as it helps me evoke the story I'm trying to tell.

In fact, more often than not, I'm betting the SOT will be from someone I've met or a conversation I've had while out and about. This first SOT will come from one of my favorite childhood movies.

By adding the SOT, I'll hopefullybe posting something each day, whether it's a SOT or finished piece from the radio or TV.

Happy reading.

Matt

No comments: