Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Tuesday ((SOT)) - I scream, you scream, we all scream for...

Life is like an ice-cream cone, you have to lick it one day at a time. 
-Charles M. Schulz, Peanuts cartoonist

The Frosty Cow Ice Cream Shop in Dryden, NY.

Summer is winding down, and I feel like I’ve only had a few days to enjoy it with the transition back to stateside living, and working at Newhouse. However, one joy I’m glad to say I’ve been able to reconnect with…frequently…are America’s homemade ice cream spots.

There’s truly nothing like the wonderful feeling you get when you bite into in a batch of homemade concoctions like moose-tracks, peppermint stick, or my most recent gambit in the village of Dryden, NY, a flavor called bull dog crunch (a mix of vanilla ice cream, pecans, and liquid praline). Even research agrees with me, saying ice cream has natural components that can fight depression.

Collage of the Frosty Cow's smallest visitors.
But the other great thing about homemade ice cream is the people. For a small town, the local ice cream stand is like the watering hole for families. Local people come back again and again to indulge themselves and the rest of their family in the flavors of summer.

It’s just one of the little things of American culture that I missed while abroad over the last year, and I have savored every frozen opportunity since coming back.

And who says I’ll stop at the summer, nothing like taking a little ice cream home on a cold winter’s night!

No comments: